Beauty is what’s on the inside. It’s an age-old saying (not really) that is often used to help normal, non-air-brushed people like you and me stay grounded and maintain a healthy self-esteem in spite of the contemporary media hype with the ideal weight and look. Yet recently, Japan passed a law to regulate the expanding waistlines of its citizens. Yes, being fat is no longer okay in Japan. After reading this alarming article (I also posted a youtube video), my initial reaction was shock, naturally. Which American can conceive of such a ludicrous restriction of the basic human right to eat? I enjoy eating lots of things, some of which I know are not that good for me (e.g. The fat on my and your prime rib. Hence my 238 cholesterol level; I’m practically a walking stroke!) But, this is my choice. The new Japanese regulation, to the average American, seems a bit too Utopia-ish.
But on second thought, I’ve come to think that these sashimi head politicians might actually have the right idea. Of course, beauty is not really what is in question here, but health. Maybe the government should regulate the diets of its citizens so that issues like obesity and heart problems can be minimalized. I do think however, that regulating consumer’s eating habits is not the way to go. Instead, the government should focus more on regulating the supply side of food.
In summary, all of our world problems should be blamed on McDonald’s.
No comments:
Post a Comment